Xavi is desperate for Cesc Fabregas to return to Barcelona
- News: Xavi again calls for Fabregas transfer
- News: Wenger wants review into tapping-up
- News: Arsenal will survive without Cesc and Samir – Gervinho
- News: Arsenal negotiating sale of Cesc – Guardiola
- News: Wenger calls for an end to Barca’s Fabregas hunt
- News: Wenger has money to spend – Gazidis
- News: Xavi’s done nothing wrong – Pique
- News: Wenger slams ‘disrespectful’ Xavi
- News: Xavi begs Arsenal to release ‘suffering’ Fabregas
- Profile:Cesc Fabregas|Xavi
Barcelona midfielder Xavi has defended his recent remarks about Cesc Fabregas, insisting he was only acting in the interest of the Arsenal captain.
Xavi recently claimed on Barca’s official website that Spain international Fabregas is “suffering” at Emirates Stadium as he seeks a return to his homeland this summer.
Gunners boss Arsene Wenger, who is determined to retain Fabregas’ services, reacted angrily to the comments, branding them “very disrespectful”.
However, Xavi has now retorted. He said: “It seems absurd to me. I was only acting in the interest of Cesc and of Barca. But that’s that and I really don’t want to get into a war of words with Wenger. I didn’t want to offend anyone.”
Barca boss Pep Guardiola said on Tuesday that Arsenal are willing to negotiate the sale of Fabregas, although it remains to be seen if the two clubs will reach an agreement over a fee.
But Xavi believes a sale is more likely this summer, after the Gunners refused to even consider parting company with Fabregas last year.
He said: “I don’t really know the situation but it seems they are more disposed to sell this year than last year. Maybe we can be a bit more optimistic but it depends on reaching an agreement with Arsenal.”